Search

Who's Online

We have 11 guests online
PDF Print E-mail

Community participates in discussion for south-south cooperation


BELO HORIZONTE (27/11/08) - The Earth Dialogues promoted on the afternoon of Thursday (27), debate on what kind of actions could be undertaken under the so-called South-South cooperation for sustainable development, involving the countries under development. The debate was mediated by Rafael Duarte Pinto, a professor of International Relations of the University Center of the Federal District (UniDF), Ian Hazelton, the Associated Pres and Clement Campbel, the Green Cross Australia.

Rafael Duarte stressed the importance of the debate involving people of different ages, backgrounds and professions, with the presentation of experiences and proposals in several areas.  In the diversity of topics discussed, highlighting the need for the management of river basins shared by countries in order that the picture today is isolated actions, hampering the adoption of macro actions to solve the problems. It also spoke of technology transfer between countries as a model not ready for solution of problems, but as an opportunity for transfer of information that might be appropriate by individual countries to their needs.

Access to education and information for quality and the ability to understand the people they are informed of what was also put under discussion by the participants. For Rafael Duarte, a master's degree in Sustainable Development by the University of Brasilia (UnB), the most important in the debate was the pursuit of dialogue by participants. He noted the presence of good university, which shows that the debate on the sustainability issue will continue in following generations, as happened from 1972 and the 1st Conference on Environment in Stockholm, with Rio 92, followed by Rio more 10 held in 2002, Johannesburg, South Africa, and the editions of the Earth Dialogues in different countries.

On Friday (29), the working group will submit the proposals for South-South cooperation in drafting the final document of dialogues, the Charter of Mines, to be produced at the end of the conference.

Encouraging local economies

The spiritual leader in Indonesia Anand Krishna, speaking to journalists at the Earth Dialogues on Thursday (27), said that behind all the environmental problems currently experienced by the world is "greed of the people" and that this is really , "The crux of the problem." He cited as an example the fact that much of the territory of Sudan agricultável be rented to other countries, which restricts the ability of local production. He also believes that natural resources can not be treated as commodities, but as assets to be shared by people.

Anand Krishna made a defense of local economies as a way of development. In practice, it would be a change in the attitude of consumers, which would give preference to local products. With this, believe it is possible to minimize the conflicts that end up being exported to other countries, citing as an example promoted the attacks by terrorists. "We must meet the demands of the people by addressing local problems." The motion says that we must enhance the production of small markets and cooperatives.

Asked if this would reverse the path of globalization, the spiritual leader said he is not against this economic model, but against what they called excessive.  For him, this would be a balanced market where small businesses would have 60% of business, leaving large firms with 40%.
 

This page was automatically translated from Portuguese from
http://www.agenciaminas.mg.gov.br/detalhe_noticia.php?cod_noticia=22933